What does business casual dress mean? Chances are, if you ask ten people you will receive ten varied answers. That is why this particular brochure is probably the most important one, at this time, in Norton Ditto’s Library of Dress. For most of Houston’s business environments, we recommend wearing a sport coat for the majority of the work week. Some individuals have expressed concern about wearing sport coats because they do not want to appear to be “overdressed” around their work mates. It is important to remember that a person should never apologize for displaying good manners or dressing properly. Besides, “following the crowd” is not a substitute for good taste.
Nevertheless we realize that the dress code for many offices is a sport shirt and trouser. If that is the situation in your office, then we encourage you to follow the guidelines and suggestions listed below. But first, why should you wear a sport coat?
There are four reasons for wearing a sport coat to work.
- It helps to communicate your serious attitude and respect for the work place.
- It will help to distinguish you in a tasteful manner.
- It will enhance your personal appearance. (This is not all bad!)
- It helps to promote your leadership image.*
*Although casual attire is accepted in many of Houston’s corporations and businesses, a suit or coat, to many people (consciously or sub-consciously), still represents an authoritative image.
Selecting a Sport Coat
In selecting a sport coat it is suggested that the garment’s pattern reflect a small or solid design. A smaller design gives you the flexibility to wear a variety of trousers and accessories with the coat. Large or busy designs, unless carefully selected, may give off negative images and could be difficult to accessorize.
An important part of selecting a coat is to choose the correct model. Pay attention to the shoulder structure and shape of the coat’s waist to make sure the model is complementary for your body’s build.
Select sport coats which have four basic features:
- The color along with the pattern is easy to match with trousers and accessories.
- Choose a color and weight that is acceptable year round, which is smart for Houston’s climate.
- Decide on colors that are complementary to your skin color.
- Unless you have an extensive wardrobe, go with colors and patterns that permit multiple wearing during a short period of time.